Duke Ellington was one of the most important and prolific composers of the 20th Century, not to mention his prowess as an arranger, musician and bandleader. His legacy was continued and enhanced by his son Mercer. I was privileged to sit down for an extended interview with Mercer Ellington and obtained a very candid view of the father through his son’s eyes. While their relationship was sometimes contentious, Mercer’s love and respect are evident, even as he struggles to emerge from a giant shadow and establish his own identity. This is the first of three parts that I hope you’ll find as fascinating as I have.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of traditional jazz and the artists who create it. Here you'll find videos, interviews, photos and a variety of material that is sure to grab your attention. This site is dedicated to the appreciation and preservation of "America's Classical Music."
- Ellington: Music Was Their Mistress – Pt. 2
- Ellington: Music Was Their Mistress – Pt. 1
- Days Of Auld Lang Syne
- The Christmas Show
- Discovering Muhal Richard Abrams
- Sharing With Sherry Winston
- Say Hello To Sergio Mendes
- A Chat With Charlie Elgart
- A Visit With Marlene VerPlanck
- After Hours With Joe Pass