Originally trained as a classical pianist, Sergio Mendes eventually felt the lure of other musical genres. As a young man he abandoned his classical roots in favor of jazz and Brazilian music. In the early 60s Sergio made his way to New York and found himself performing with the likes of Art Farmer and Cannonball Adderley, but it was to be his native Bossa Nova beat and soft pop melodies, blended with a touch of lite jazz, that would dominate his musical life.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of traditional jazz and the artists who create it. Here you'll find videos, interviews, photos and a variety of material that is sure to grab your attention. This site is dedicated to the appreciation and preservation of "America's Classical Music."
- Ellington: Music Was Their Mistress – Pt. 2
- Ellington: Music Was Their Mistress – Pt. 1
- Days Of Auld Lang Syne
- The Christmas Show
- Discovering Muhal Richard Abrams
- Sharing With Sherry Winston
- Say Hello To Sergio Mendes
- A Chat With Charlie Elgart
- A Visit With Marlene VerPlanck
- After Hours With Joe Pass