One of the pioneers of bebop, Max Roach spent decades creating innovative jazz. Though he started out playing piano, Max moved over to drums at the age of ten, and at sixteen he filled in with The Duke Ellington Orchestra at the famous Paramount Theater! He was a composer as well as a musician, a college professor and recipient of many honors and awards. While he was also comfortable working with other musical styles, Max Roach’s first love was always jazz and he is generally considered among the most important drummers in history.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of traditional jazz and the artists who create it. Here you'll find videos, interviews, photos and a variety of material that is sure to grab your attention. This site is dedicated to the appreciation and preservation of "America's Classical Music."
- Ellington: Music Was Their Mistress – Pt. 2
- Ellington: Music Was Their Mistress – Pt. 1
- Days Of Auld Lang Syne
- The Christmas Show
- Discovering Muhal Richard Abrams
- Sharing With Sherry Winston
- Say Hello To Sergio Mendes
- A Chat With Charlie Elgart
- A Visit With Marlene VerPlanck
- After Hours With Joe Pass